The Rule of Law and Development Program (RoLD Program)
signifies collaborative efforts between the Thailand Institute of Justice (TIJ) and the Institute for Global Law and Policy (IGLP) at Harvard Law School in bringing together young scholars and policymakers to learn from like–minded peers about the intricacies of the rule of law in contemporary contexts. As an integral part of the RoLD Program, the TIJ Workshop for Emerging Leaders on the Rule of Law & Policy seeks to strengthen human capacities to formulate and develop a true understanding of how the rule of law operates within our multi–faceted society. Apart from the TIJ Workshop, the RoLD Program is comprised of the flagship Executive Program on the rule of law and development, the RoLD in Action or the application of the rule of law into real life cases, and the TIJ Public Forum.
The TIJ Workshop Experiences
The TIJ Workshop for Emerging Leaders offers a unique opportunity for practitioners from different sectors to engage with their global peers in policy dialogue facilitated by a network of international and interdisciplinary faculty from the TIJ and the Institute for Global Law & Policy (IGLP) at Harvard Law School. This intensive week, designed exclusively for young and successful professionals, will unlock the complex and dynamic linkages between the rule of law and policy making processes in the economic, political and social development at local, regional and international levels.
The curriculum has been customized to ensure that participants benefit from peer-to-peer learning in order to strengthen their knowledge and skills for addressing the most pressing policy challenges in today’s global environment. Through peer-to-peer collaboration, intensive mentoring and cross-training, the Workshop aims to strengthen the next generation of policy leaders as they develop innovative ideas and alternative approaches to issues of global law, economic policy, social justice and governance. Participants will benefit from the mentorship of experts, professionals and thinkers by actively participating in thematic discussions and policy case studies covering topics that highlight the fundamental roles of the rule of law in policy development that affects our daily lives.
The TIJ Workshop will be convened concurrently with the IGLP Workshop for Scholars, an intensive, regionally-focused residential program for doctoral and post-doctoral scholars and junior faculty of law and policy from around the world. The IGLP Workshop for Scholars will focus on the important legal and political choices embedded in policy debate on issues facing Asia and the world. Together, the two Workshops offer a unique environment for discussion between policy professionals and the most innovative young scholars undertaking research in their respective fields.
Spotlight Theme: the Rule of Law and Sustainable Development
The rule of law is no longer seen as only a complement to ongoing attempts at building peaceful and inclusive society, but it is the very cornerstone on which the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) rests. It is like a thread which weaves together all of the goals within the 2030 Agenda, forming vital conditions that create a conducive environment for the advancement of equitable and sustained economic growth, as well as full realization of human rights and fundamental freedoms. In this respect, the rule of law and development are not only strongly intertwined, but are also mutually reinforcing. For public institutions to become more effective, accountable and inclusive, in accordance with SDGs Goal 16, it is crucial that relevant actors in all sectors come to appreciate the rule of law in all its complexities as the key factor in furthering development efforts at the national and international levels.
AT A GLANCE: WORKSHOP FORMAT
The TIJ Workshop focuses on peer-to-peer learning and the necessary skills for understanding the policies and initiatives that affect their lives and the world at large, while drawing upon the rule of law as a guiding framework. Participants will have opportunities to:
- Work with colleagues in TIJ Policy Teams to share policy experiences and initiatives, discuss novel approaches to complex socio-economic challenges, and benefit from peer-to-peer engagement with mentorship from experienced IGLP faculty members.
- Participate in TIJ-IGLP Streams or interactive mini-courses offered by the IGLP faculty members to review current scholarly debates and engage in case-based learning with young scholars of law and policy from around the world.
- Brainstorm in TIJ-IGLP Problem Labs with emerging policy leaders and scholars on innovative policy solutions and tools to address pressing regional issues with guidance from invited experts and IGLP faculty members.
- Learn about interrelated global law and policy trends during Plenary Lectures.
- Cultivate their skills in offering feedback, presenting experiences of their peers and synthesizing their own thoughts in a concrete policy discourse
- Join the Field Trip and witness policy development at work.
- Present their views and concluding thoughts at the TIJ International Forum on the Rule of Law and Development.
- Enjoy a uniquely Thai experience at the Cultural Outing in an exclusive setting.